Monday, January 15, 2007

Asia Nora: No Smokes, No Booze, No Ra

Eating Out
by Tad Rainwater

I realize Asia Nora in Washington DC has been around 30 years, but I’m going to review it anyway because a) I had never been there before Friday, and b) I am one of only a handful of people who have sat at a smoke-free and alcohol-free Asia Nora bar. DC’s new smoking ban in all restaurants had been in effect for 4 nights, and though I was initially against the ban, as a non-smoker I am now planning to take full advantage of it. I still fear the slippery slope of restaurant rights: first smoking goes, then transfats naturally. But then what? Sugar? Non-dairy creamer? God I hope not! But this smoking ban isn’t so bad—now I don’t have to wash my Irish sweater after every visit to Nanny O’Briens. Nor does my shillelagh risk cigarette burns at Biddy Mulligans. If you are a non-smoker, but a yes-drinker, I highly suggest you support our restaurants and bars for going smoke free (whether it was willing or not). The majority of bar owners resented the ban for fear of loss of business, and I would hate for them to be right. This town finally has life in many neighborhoods that were wastelands 10 years ago, partly thanks to the bar and restaurant scene. Also, if you have not heard, there will be a “hardship exemption” that allows a restaurant or bar that sees its profits drop by 5% over the first three months of the ban to re-allow smoking. While I think this is a noble principle, this is far too small a percentage to accurately track anything. The waterfront bars, the Monday Night Football bars and the softball bars, not to mention those that pull in huge profits on Halloween and New Years, will surely show a drop in profits during these cold months. I heard Mayor Fenty wants to increase the percentage to 15%, like they have in New York, which would be a good idea but still subject to skewed statistics and abuses. Either way, we should fight potential abuses of the system by GOING OUT DRINKING!

But never mind the clean air, there was no alcohol either at Asia Nora. They had a 48 hour suspension on their liquor license thanks to a sting operation. 4 undercover police officers had come in for a drink back in the November restaurant week. They were served drinks, but one of them was supposedly underage. They arrested the bartender and he later had to do community service (by the way the CS officer let him go home immediately for a $150 cash donation—seriously.) They fined the restaurant $1000 and suspended the license. Anyway, it was rather empty for a Friday night (not surprisingly—we’ve seen the effects of Vegetate minus booze-zzzzzzzzzzz.) The only customers at the bar, we got a lot of attention, got to know the culprit bartender, had fried mussels on a slaw with cashews and carrots and for an entrée seared duck breast which was delicious. There was also a vodka that I had never heard of called Rain, made from organic potatoes. We got a good look at the bottle.

No comments: